17 Mar 2014

Review: Our House Of Spice - Ground Spice Mixes


Hello all, hope you had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed some of this glorious weather! I practically spent the whole weekend in the garden, apart from taking some time out to cook up some lovely Indian food using Our House of Spice spice packets. Based in Cambridge and set up by sisters Nadia and Julia, Our House of Spice offers a range of frozen Indian Ready Meals and Spice Packets created from family recipes and methods passed down through generations. Their spice mixes are made with the highest quality spices and come with step-by-step instructions. Take a look at their range online: www.ourhouseofspice.com


I was sent two ground spices packet mixes, one for a Medium Masala Curry with a Tomato and Onion Sauce and a Raita Spiced Yogurt Dip. I've mentioned before on this blog that my husband is British Indian and I'm lucky enough that my mother-in-law has taught me some amazing authentic Indian recipes. I love making these meals from scratch but they can be quite time consuming, especially when freshly grinding the spices like my mother-in-law does, so I was more than happy to give these spice mixes a try! The recipes on the back are very simple to follow and really most of the hard work has been already been done for you, simply by having all the spices needed for the meal already prepared.


The Medium Masala Curry was really easy to make and simply needed a tin of chopped tomato, tomato puree, a chopped onion, and diced chicken breast (prawns, lamb or beef can be used instead). It was very simple to do and with very little effort created an extremely tasty and quite spicy curry.


I also made the Raita Spiced Yogurt Dip using potatoes (optional), cucumber and fresh coriander. Again, this is a very simple dish to put together using the spice packet. The spices are wonderfully fragrant and created quite a spicy base for a Raita, we all found the heat quite intense but in a good way.


I served the Masala Curry with some of the raita, basmati rice, naan bread, and some fresh coriander on top. The kids got an extra serving of plain yogurt stirred in to cool the flavours slightly. The results were fantastic! Everyone enjoyed this delicious feast, it was full of fresh spicy flavour and even my kids didn't leave a single scrap on their plates. I would recommend Our House of Spice for anyone who wants to recreate their favourite Indian dishes at home with half the effort and none of the stress!

Find Our House of Spice shop online here. Prices start from £2.50 for packet mixes which serve 4. They also have full meal kits with all the spices you need to create a whole curry night. Check out the The Review Addict where Hannah has tried out some of the other spice mixes here

Products sent for an honest review. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention Katherine. I absolutely loved the spice mixes that I was sent, they made cooking Indian food seem so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of these, will look out for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...