9 Sept 2016

Review: New Krispy Kreme Smores, Chocolate Firecracker & Maple Crunch Doughnuts


Krispy Kreme has released several new varieties recently, with a few more on the horizon in the coming weeks. The 'New Season' doughnuts are; Smores, Maple Crunch, Chocolate Firecracker and a Salted Caramel Cheesecake (which I wasn't able to find). 

There is also a series of  'Vintage Krispy Kreme' flavours which are being released one by one during September and October. The vintage doughnut flavours planned are; Glazed Kreme (from 5th - 18th Sept), Powdered Blueberry (from 19th Sept - 2nd Oct), Cruller (from 3rd Oct - 16th Oct) and  a Pumpkin Spice (from 17th Oct to 31st Oct). I'm looking forward to the Powdered Blueberry and the Pumpkin Spice!



Smores Doughnut: The Smores is a milk chocolate covered doughnut topped with mini marshmallows, shortcake crumble and a while chocolate drizzle. It also features a mallow filling in the centre. I thought the flavours here all worked really well. The inner mallow filling tasted just like marshmallow fluff, it's super sweet and sugary but with a real marshmallowy flavour. The chocolate icing and toppings add a little extra flavour and texture. Overall it's a fun doughnut, and even though the flavours are not super exciting, I would still buy this one again. Rating: 7 out of 10.


Chocolate Firecracker Doughnut: The Chocolate Firecracker is described as a doughnut dipped in chilli-infused chocolate icing, with a chocolate truffle kreme filling and topped with gold sugar stars. As you can see in my photo my doughnut was missing the gold stars although the icing did look very appealing with a gold glittery appearance. I do appreciate that Krispy Kreme, unlike many other food brands, have not forgotten that there is another season in between summer and Christmas, and the Chocolate Firecracker is a great looking doughnut for autumn. Unfortunately the flavour was not for me at all and I could only take one bite of this one. Even Mr. Grocery Gems found it totally inedible. The chilli heat in the icing does not work with the sweet and greasy nature of the doughnut and the whole effect is rather nauseating. Sorry Krispy Kreme but this one is not for us! Rating: 2 out of 10 (scoring points for looks only). 


Maple Crunch Doughnut: Thankfully the Maple Crunch doughnut was much more appealing to our tastes. Mr. Grocery Gems in particular is a big fan of anything Maple Syrup flavoured. He's also not too too keen on filled doughnuts, so this simple ring doughnut is exactly to his tastes. The maple flavour here is exactly what he was expecting with a distinctive maple syrupy flavour coming through. The crunch on top adds a little extra interest but on the whole this simple doughnut is a flavour winner. Rating: 8 out of 10.

Have you tried any of the New Season Doughnuts at Krispy Kreme? If so I'd love to know what you thought in the comments below. Thanks!


7 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you liked the Smores! I was starting to think I was the only one haha! And no stars for your Firecracker either.. Whats that all about? Those KK monkeys are slackers sometimes. I do wonder how popular the aforementioned will be.. I hate anything spicy but maybe those who really do will go for it? I donated mine to my brother and he didn't complain :D. As for the maple.. I'm baffled. WHY DID MINE SMELL AND TASTE OF CELERY!? Perhaps you can answer this for me KittyKat haha. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol glad we agree! The Smores isn't the most exciting doughnut in the world but I thought it was decent enough. The least said about the Firecracker the better though...

      I honestly think your Maple doughnut must have had something wrong with it, mine really did taste of maple. Perhaps an over zealous employee dropped a celery stick into a batch of icing. I think the only way to be sure is if you try another one ;)

      Delete
    2. I thought the filling was really good.. Not so keen on the "hard" chocolate topping though - I think a soft icing would have been better. That is what everyone is saying! Brilliant celery theory but I am not sure how I feel about buying another one incase it is exactly the same.. No doughnut should ever taste THAT bad! Haha. xx

      Delete
  2. ...dribble! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Not sure what cinnamon ones you mean! These were the only new doughnuts I saw.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...