30 Aug 2015

Review: Walkers Bring It Back Flavours - Barbecue and Cheese & Chive


Walkers have revived five retro flavours and are asking fans to vote for which favourite flavour they'd like to see return. There are five flavours from the Walkers back catalogue to try out and vote for - Cheese & Chive, Barbecue, Lamb & Mint, Toasted Cheese, and Beef & Onion. I found all the flavours in my local newsagent and since I don't remember most of them from their original releases (I think some are much more recent than others), I decided to give them a try, starting with Cheese & Chive and Barbecue.


Walkers Cheese & Chive: According to the Walkers website this flavour was around in the 1990's, and a few of my family members say they remember this one. I really enjoyed this flavour, so much so that it might be the one that ultimately gets my vote. The flavour is deliciously cheesey and salty, with visible flecks of chives that add a herby and slightly sweet flavour. The overall combination is really well balanced between the cheese and chive, creating a flavour that is not as strong or overpowering as classic Cheese & Onion and without the creaminess of Sour Cream & Chive crisps. I actually think the Cheese & Chive works better than those more traditional flavours but perhaps it's just the novelty value of them winning me over! 

Grocery Gems Review: Walkers Bring it Back - Cheese & Chive

RATING: 8 out of 10.

Buy them again?: Yes.
Nutrition: 168 calories per pack.
Vegetarian: Suitable for vegetarians.
Purchased: Newsagent.

Price: 2 packs for £1.00p (32.5g each).


Walkers Barbecue: To be honest I didn't even realise that this flavours wasn't already a permanent Walkers vareiety. It just seems like one of those flavours that has always existed. Perhaps it's because Walkers describe this flavour as a "recent star". I'm not sure how recent but if anyone knows then please leave a comment below. Anyway the flavour here is spot on for recreating the taste of a smokey barbecue sauce with a little dash of sweetness. I have to admit to a fondness for ketchup flavoured crisps and this Barbecue flavour appeals to me in a similar sweet and salty way. However, I don't think I would vote for this flavour overall as it doesn't seem very unique or different.

Grocery Gems Review: Walkers Bring it Back - Barbecue

RATING: 7 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Nutrition: 169 calories per pack.
Vegetarian: Suitable for vegetarians.
Purchased: Newsagent.
Price: 2 packs for £1.00p (32.5g each).


You can vote for your favourite flavour online: www.walkers.co.uk/bringitback/how-to-vote

7 comments:

  1. Barbecue, sometime in the early 00's was replaced with ''BBQ RIB'' which tastes awful, and had many complaints, Barbecue, which was stopped, was bought back and a bring it back flavor and is expected to win.

    Barbecue used to have dark black packaging, but now it's dark brown, due to bbq rib, already having black packaging.

    The flavor has changed a bit since the 90's and early 00's, used to be much nicer and fuller taste,,, They've had to change the recipe because of banned ingredientsm which was one of the reasons they disappeared to begin with, they were the 6th best selling core flavor in 1997, but only 13th in 2003

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for all the information Daniel.

      I did notice that the Barbecue flavour did not have a very strong seasoning level unlike the Cheese & Cheese which seem to have much more flavouring.

      Delete
    2. I also remember the barbecue rib flavour but I didn't like it as much as the barbecue one.

      Delete
  2. I've also seen Marmite flavour in my local petrol station as part of the same promotion. I haven't tried them so I can't say if they are the same as thy were when they were first released. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the cheese and chive flavour from the 90s and they had the Spice Girls on the packets. This flavour is okay but the barbecue flavour is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marmite is part of the campaign but they've already brought that back, the vote is for one of the five others to join it. The Marmite ones have Black packaging which is why Barbecue has been changed to Dark Brown.

    I hadn't noticed they no longer did Beef & Onion, thought it had always been there! Either that or Cheese & Chive will get my vote, or perhaps both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my fave flavours lamb&mint-it actually tastes just like it says-you can almost taste the gravy too,lol,very tasty-just like a sunday roast.love em.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...