15 Jan 2015

Review: Tesco Red Velvet Cookies


Another new addition to the Tesco bakery range. These Red Velvet Cookies with a white chocolate filling are a similar concept the the Tesco Melting Snowman Cookies which were available in the run up to Christmas. I've always been a fan of red velvet cakes and it's often our first choice of cake for family birthdays (like this Tesco Finest Red Velvet Cake), so I was interested to review this cookie version.


The Tesco Red Velvet Cookies have a reddish brown colour with a scattering of small white chocolate chips. The centre of each cookie contains a soft white chocolate filling.


The cookies have the same soft and chewy texture as any of the other fresh bakery cookies at Tesco. The overall flavour is similar to the previous Tesco Melting Snowman Cookies, especially in the creamy white chocolate centre, although the outer cookie itself is slightly less sweet. They don't really taste like red velvet cake, perhaps a cream cheese flavoured filling would have recreated more of a red velvet flavour, but they're still tasty cookies nonetheless. Unlike the Tesco Lemonade & Cola Doughnuts, the Red Velvet Cookies all disappeared fairly quickly!

Grocery Gems Verdict: Tesco Red Velvet Cookies

RATING: 7 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Purchased: Tesco.
Price: £1.00p.

4 comments:

  1. I never eat red velvet cake :) Looks yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cost me £1.05 in my local Tesco Metro (Notting Hill, W11), not £1.00. After buying I saw they were marked as not suitable for vegetarians. I don't know what is in them to warrant this warning. Anyone else know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My review is from last year (January 2015) so that might explain the difference in price. I didn't realise they were in the shops again.

      I'm not sure about the vegetarian issue, but perhaps it's because of the red food colouring used?

      Delete
  3. Hi, I assume they would have contained a colour additive called carmine. This is manufactured from female cochineal bugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...