12 May 2014

Baked Kit Kat! Custard Pudding Flavour


Here in the UK, Nestlé have just announced their limited edition Kit Kat for summer 2014 - the Kit Kat Chunky Orange. YAWN. Could they have chosen a more boring flavour? I'm sure fans of chocolate orange will be pleased but personally, I'm disappointed by this mundane and commonplace flavour combination. Meanwhile in Japan... thankfully there are more unique creations underway. Kit Kat Japan introduced a Kit Kat bar that can be baked and enjoyed hot out of the oven! Added to that, it can also be enjoyed unbaked and is an interesting flavour in it's own right - Custard Pudding. 


I bought a multipack which contains a generous 13 individual mini Kit Kat (these are about half the size of our two finger Kit Kats).


Inside it looks just like a white chocolate Kit Kat but the scent is much sweeter with vanilla notes and caramelised sugar undertones.


There are a few Youtube videos with instructions on how to bake these. I placed the Kit Kat bars on a foil lined baking tray and baked them for 4 minutes in an oven preheated to 180 degrees. The first few minutes were nerve wracking as the Kit Kat bars started to melt at the edges. The coating was literally melting onto the baking tray. I thought I would end up with a hot mess to show for my troubles! I actually turned the oven temperature up even higher and luckily the Kit Kat soon started to bubble up and turn a golden brown. Kit Kat crisis averted.


All baked! I have to admit it felt quite unnatural and surreal to be baking these Kit Kat, and I'm not sure exactly what type of sorcery is going on here, but they turned out great! The white "chocolate" coating on the outside of each Kit Kat turned into a golden flaky pastry consistency. The prominent vanilla cream flavour was very sugary sweet but slightly greasy and baked at the same time. It all worked together very well and was quite delicious!

Baked Versus Unbaked
Unbaked they were tasty too, although certainly not as exciting. The custard flavour of these Kit Kat mainly comes through when they are eaten "raw". They have a very sweet vanilla flavour that suits the "white chocolate" base. My kids actually preferred them unbaked, although they loved the novelty value of trying the baked version!

I bought these from Oyatsu Cafe (and used the Grocery Gems 15% discount code - see HERE for details). www.oyatsucafe.com. At the moment they are not posting out chocolates due to the hot weather in Japan - I'll update on here when that changes.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Baked Kit Kat

RATING: 8 out of 10.
Buy them again?: I'd love to see other flavours in this baked range.

Purchased: Oyatsu Cafe 


4 comments:

  1. This looks impossible! What a great find. Love the review and pics as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought of doing this to a kitkat. I'm now wondering if you can do the same with other chocolate bars too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the best, it's such a shame that there aren't more flavours in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, interesting. Definitely something I'd have to give a go to ease my curiosity! #triedtested

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...