23 Apr 2014

Hong Kong Snack Haul!


Mr. Grocery Gems visited Hong Kong a few weeks ago and he somehow managed to bring a huge snack haul home with him. I've obviously trained him well as a snack spotter! Here's a quick round up of some of the products.


These Calbee Potato Grid Crisps have an interesting grid shape and are flavoured with onions, peppers and barbecue chicken.


The Calbee Olive & Garlic Pizza look similar to the Calbee Pizza chips that I reviewed HERE. Unfortunately, this Olive & Garlic variety was very disappointing - inside was a mostly empty packet!


My husband is quite annoyed that he made room in his luggage for a bag that has been pumped full of AIR. What a waste of time!


Potato chips from Nissin with pretty pink blossom packaging and an intriguing flavour too - Sour Plum! I'm not sure if I am brave enough to try them, the last time I tried a Sour Plum flavoured product it did not end well! See my review of the Ume Ninja Meshi HERE (third product down). 


A fab selection of sweets! There are Lemon Hi-Chew, Peach Hi-Chew, some Matcha Milk Candy, Puccho Soda Flavour, and lastly Puccho Miracle (assorted fruit flavour). 


The packaging of the Puccho sweets is so much fun - especially the rainbow bright Puccho Miracle!


Pocky Mango Mousse (I've reviewed these previously HERE), Calbee Jagabee potato snacks and Crunky Crunch Chocolate - the last two have been on my wishlist for some time.


It's quite hard to convey just how adorable this little box of 9 Mix chocolate are. I'll try to take better photos and do a full review soon. Each chocolate is wrapped with a completely different style of packaging, from retro to folksy, and yet the whole thing works together to create a bright appealing look. I can't wait to try these.


Oreo Chocolate Wafers - Strawberry flavour. I've tried a few of these Oreo wafers from China before (see review of the Peanut flavour HERE). I also have a box of Mint flavoured ones I bought from Chinatown recently. Reviews to follow.


I have a slight obsession with maneki-neko (lucky fortune cats) so I was thrilled with this bag of Kikko Lucky Cat Candy mix - hard candies in fruity flavours. The packaging really does make me smile! 


More cuteness in the form of these pastel coloured (and Bunny themed!) Hello Kitty candies. I should have reviewed these for Easter!


These look so cool! These Tada Banana Castella Cakes are bean paste filled banana sponge cakes that are also banana shaped AND even have the word Banana embossed across them. Just in case you didn't get the message. I expect these to be epic!


My husband bought a few products from the Bourbon range of Petit biscuits;  a Matcha Choc Chip and also a savoury Cheese Crackers variety. He said these biscuits were on sale everywhere in Hong Kong, and were available in such an array of different flavours, that curiosity got the better of him. I'm so glad it did as I've always wanted to try these mini biscuits. The Matcha Choc Chip variety are available from Oyatsu Cafe HERE


These beautifully packaged Coconut & Pineapple cakes from Aji Ichiban were mainly bought as presents for family and friends. 


Lastly an enormous "Gift of Hong Kong" box of biscuits with a delicious selection of flavours. The little Ginger Cookies and Jasmine Green Tea Cookies in particular, were divine, whilst the mini Panda Cookies are just too cute to eat!

All thanks to Mr. Grocery Gems - I think he may have brought home the equivalent of a small supermarket back with him! There were actually a few other items that I haven't included above (yes, really), like some noodle pots and even Hello Kitty shaped cookies. Bringing home new snacks is always one of the best aspects about going abroad! :)


9 comments:

  1. What an awesome selection from Mr Grocery Gems! I love the box of biscuits, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! It's just a whole lot of cuteness :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a great selection of interesting products!
    I'm super curious about those Ume plum crisps, that is one strange combination haha


    YUMMY★うんち | Japanese Snack reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious too! I'll have to pluck up the courage and try them soon lol

      Delete
  3. Aren't you a lucky one, this is some fabulous haul. He is obviously either well trained or a closet grocery gem fiend himself....! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RedSetter! He's always been a bit of a secret snack fiend but mostly it's because he's well trained ;)

      Delete
  4. Where did you buy the Hi Chew and Puccho from in HK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it was in a large supermarket (sorry I don't know what it was called) near the Causeway Bay station and the SOGO department store.

      Delete
  5. Hi
    I think the supermarket was around here:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mcl+Jp+Causeway+Bay+Cinemas,+Pearl+City,+22-36+Paterson+St/@22.2799734,114.1856768,19z/data=!4m6!1m3!3m2!1s0x340400514c35c8a3:0x4df4c5f1fb5e4e95!2zSG9uZyBLb25nLCDliKnlnJLlro_liKnkv53pmqrlpKflu4ggV2lsbGlzIEhvbmcgS29uZyBMdGQ!3m1!1s0x340400542f27a45d:0x838fe6a0cf3d2398
    I also went to Times Square Hong Kong. There is a supermarket on the lower floors.
    Good luck and let us know how you got on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...