20 Mar 2014

Lidl Deluxe Coconut Spread


The elusive Coconut Spread from Lidl! I'm not sure when or where I first heard about this spread, but I knew it existed and had always hoped I'd be able to track it down. Luckily enough, last week I happened to spot the Coconut Spread in a Lidl promotional leaflet for this weeks offers (starting 20th March). There are lots of other fabulous products in the Deluxe range which are only available this week, so I'd advise a trip to Lidl pronto! 


Don't worry about the above photo, I'm not recommending eating this with a spoon. It's purely for illustrative purchases *ahem* to show just how thick and creamy this spread is. The main ingredients are; sugar, vegetable oil, skimmed milk powder, dried coconut flakes and some cocoa butter. So it's basically a thick white chocolate spread with coconut - now doesn't that sound like something you need in your cupboards? 


The flavour is completely gorgeous, so creamy and coconutty - just like the centre of a Ferrero Raffaelo. Think Kinder Bueno meets coconut - absolutely divine. Last week Hannah from The Review Addict reviewed the M&S Buttermilk Pikelets, and I thought that their pancake-crossed-with-a-crumpet flavour, would be the perfect base for the Coconut Spread. And it really was! I only needed a little of the spread to have an indulgent creamy coconut treat. Even my kids who are not fans of coconut, but love Ferrero Raffaelo chocolates, loved this spread on the pikelets. 


Now I just need to head back to Lidl to pick up a few more jars! I can imagine it will be great eaten straight from the jar with a spoon for using in baking and even as a cupcake topping. My end of year Grocery Gems Best of 2014 list will have a new category of "Best Spread" just so I can include this gem!

There were also other varieties available in this range; Toffee Spread, Mocha Spread, and a Chocolate & Hazelnut Spread with Hazelnut Pieces. I took a photo but my phone is not happy at the moment, will try to upload it a bit later so check back! 

Grocery Gems Verdict: Lidl Coconut Spread

Rating: 10 out of 10
Nutrition: No information.
Purchased: Lidl
Price: £1.29



20 comments:

  1. Ooooooh! I'm a huge coconut fan, that sounds interesting! I'm not a fan of white chocolate though, so is it actually chocolate or chocolate flavoured?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, technically white chocolate is not actually a chocolate, so it's not chocolate flavoured as such. It does have similar ingredients to a white chocolate (sugar, milk, cocoa butter) and it tastes like the creamy filling you find in Kinder Bueno or Ferrero Raphaello rather than a white chocolate bar. I hope that makes sense! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I think I'll just have to try it - I have no idea what those two taste like as they always look too sweet and white chocolatey for me, so I'll try it and see! I wonder if it might be nice dolloped on pancakes....

      Delete
  2. My mum give me this on Christmas, back in Poland. After when I come back home I eat half jar with the spoon, I just can't stop! It's taste like grushed Raffaello :) What a shame that I don't have Lidl in my town :( In my home town it's about 5 stores! Probably coz we are closer to Germany :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I could see myself doing that with the spoon too! It's such a shame that you don't have a Lidl close to you :( Can you get your Mum to stock up on a few jars for next time? :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they will be soon in Lidl Poland also so I had ask her to buy me some. Have you try also this other flavour? Toffe something?

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the mention and I can't explain how much I need this spread, it looks so thick and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really must try this spread Hannah, I think you'll love it! In my local Lidl it wasn't displayed with the rest of the spreads, they had a separate display with all the limited Deluxe range products. Hope you find some x

      Delete
  4. Oh. My. Goodness. Gracious. Me. I need to find where my nearest Lidl is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunt it down!! I hope you can find one close to you *fingers crossed*!

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing! I've always wondered why there were no coconut spreads in shops, I think Bounty need to get in on the act :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a Bounty spread! Sainsbury's used to do a chocolate & coconut spread a few years ago. It was lovely, like a coconut flavour Nutella. Still miss it, but this Lidl one is nicer :)

      Delete
  6. Bang goes the diet, this sounds too good not to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it helps, it's only a little jar, like the smallest Nutella jar. So that means it's okay surely? ;)

      Delete
  7. Any idea of it needs to be kept in the fridge? I have a jar and there's no instructions. Im sure it won't last long anyway

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found a jar of this in the Lidl in Silves, Portugal. Now back home in the Netherlands I'm desperately looking for more. Funny thing is that the label of mine reads 'Skimmed Milk Spread', no word about chocolate. I'm not keeping it in the fridge, just in the cupboard together with the delicious chunky Dutch peanutbutter :D

    Is this part of the assortment or just temporarily, just like those 'week of -insert country-' products?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely luv this spread, can anyone get hold of this for me along with the mocha and toffee ? ill pay postage too , It doesn't seem to be about in my local lidls ???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I eat mine with chocolate Nutella straight from the jars, it's absolutely lush ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!! I love coconut so I must have this. but sadly it seems to have gone from lidl shelves. Anyone know where else to buy this?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...