22 Sept 2013

Review: Green & Black's Dark Chocolate Lemon & Milk Chocolate Orange


Green & Black's were at Old Spitalfields Market proudly showcasing the newest additions to their organic chocolate range. The citrus inspired flavours in full are; Dark Chocolate infused with Lemon and Milk Chocolate infused with Blood Orange. I was lucky enough to be near Liverpool Street on Friday so I couldn't resist popping in to check out their lovely stand which featured fruit trees made of chocolate!


I managed to resist the temptation to pick an entire chocolate orange from the tree!


I always enjoy the flavour of Green & Black's chocolates but I have to admit I usually stick to their simple milk or white chocolate bar rather than any of their flavoured offerings. The idea of lemon with dark chocolate, however, is quite an unusual one (even though there are plenty of white chocolate and lemon meringue combinations about) and certainly not one I've tried before.


As a fan of intense coffee I've always been partial to Green & Black's dark chocolate as a perfect accompaniment to a cup of espresso. There's something sublime and complimentary about the meeting of two such strong flavours. The dark chocolate in the new Green & Black's Lemon bar has a 60% minimum cocoa solids content and a full bodied flavour to match. The inclusion of lemon oil adds a unique zestiness to the overall experience without being overpowering. Surprisingly there's no bitterness here, the flavours are smooth, fresh and completely delicious - although a few pieces go a long way to satisfy a chocolate hit.


Green & Black's already have an orange flavoured dark chocolate in their range, albeit in the form of the spiced Maya Gold bar, so it was interesting to try their take on a milk chocolate with orange. This classic combination has been given a slight twist with the use of blood oranges, known for their sweet and intense flavour.


What I loved most about this bar was the deliciously creamy milk chocolate used, it's superb here combined with the aromatic orange flavour. I'm not always a fan of chocolate and orange, as I find it can often be too cloying and sugary, but thankfully the flavours here are extremely well balanced and enjoyable.

Both bars will be available from the usual Green & Black's stockists from October.

I received these products in order to write an honest review and all opinions expressed are my own.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Green & Black's Lemon & Orange

RATING: Lemon - 8 out of 10, Orange - 8.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes - the orange is especially perfect for Christmas.
Vegetarian: Yes.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the sound of the lemon one...although chocolate and orange is always good too. I'll definitely be looking out for these next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I find Green and Blacks the worst of all the Dark Chocolate out there. I find their dark chocolate bitter and of poor quality. I can't comment on their milk range but I was really disappointed as I had high expectations. It is probably why many people don't like the higher cocoa % chocolates. Now, Hotel Chocolate is so much smoother. You can definitely tell they temper their chocolate for much longer. I find hotel chocolate's 100% smoother than G&B's 70%. I even find J.D.Gross from Lidl has a more palatable flavour! But then I guess all taste buds are different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I've never tried the G&B's 70% as an eating chocolate (so far only used it for cooking and it makes absolutely amazing brownies!), but then I've got quite a sweet tooth. This Lemon bar has 60% cocoa and I honestly didn't find it bitter at all. If you give it a try let me know what you thought of it :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...