7 Apr 2013

Ovaltine Cookies Review


I spotted these Ovaltine cookies in the World Foods section of my local Tesco. They're a Jamaican product (one more down on the Around the World challenge!) but I'm sure most of us are familiar with the Ovaltine malt drink. I always have a tub of Ovaltine on standby for when I'm feeling run down or ill. It's packed full of vitamins and minerals and is perfect as a bedtime drink too.


Even though I like Ovaltine as a drink I'd never heard of Ovaltine cookies before. It's a great idea to match a biscuit to a specific brand of hot drink - I'd love to see more biscuits like this!


Inside the box there are four individually sealed packs each with five biscuits. I've said it before but I always prefer individual portions, it's obviously good for calorie control but it also means the leftover biscuits won't go stale.


These biscuits look positively sunny and happy. It would be a great look for a breakfast biscuit!


The biscuits are somewhere between a rich tea and digestive biscuits in their crunch and texture. The flavour is quite plain but with a malty aftertaste. They reminded me quite a bit of Fox's Malted Milk biscuits but with a darker, more caramelised taste to them. They're not too sweet and fairly low in calories too for a biscuit (36 calories each). They're worth a try, especially if you're a fan of Ovaltine. Look out for them in your local Tesco.



Grocery Gems Verdict: Ovaltine Cookies

RATING: 7.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.

Nutrition: (per serving 5 cookies) 180 calories, 3g protein, 27g carb, 7g fat, 8g Sugar.
Purchased: Tesco (World Foods section) or online.
Price: 0.99p


2 comments:

  1. Ooooo much look out for these, my daddy loves ovaltine so much and these type of plain biccies are the best sometimes, especially because they arn't too sweet, which means you can add NUTELLA! :D Kinda reminds me of a belvita breakfast biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find Katherine! I like Fox's Malted Milk so will be on the lookout for these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...