24 Jan 2013

New York Bakery Co Review: Limited Edition Blueberry Bagels and new Fruit & Oat and Red Onion & Chive Bagels



Good news for bagel fans. New York Bakery Co have released two new bagel varieties, Fruit & Oat and Red Onion & Chive, as well as one Limited Edition bagel variety, Blueberry.


The blueberry bagels are especially exciting news, as it is surprisingly hard to find this flavour of bagel (Sainsbury's used to sell a delicious blueberry bagel but they were sadly discontinued). As soon as I opened the packet I could tell that these New York Bakery Co Blueberry bagels were not going to disappoint, the abundant smell of blueberries was immediately evident.

Blueberry

The overall flavour is just delicious, full of sweet fruitiness. They tasted amazing with some added blueberry jam on top! There was also quite a lot of fruit in each bagel. The blueberries were all different sizes, there were some whole large pieces of fruit and other smaller bits. I loved the the sweet burst of flavour from the larger blueberries! The only thing I don't like (and I don't often say this!) is that they are only a limited edition. I would love these to be added to the permanent range as I can see them being very popular.



The Fruit & Oat bagels are a mix of raisins, cranberries, sunflower seeds, all topped with oats. The fruit pieces were all succulent and sweet, but I couldn't particularly tell the raisins from the cranberries. Despite that, these bagels are extremely delicious, and if you like fruity bagels or oats then you will definitely enjoy these.

Fruit & Oat
They don't contain any cinnamon or spices, so they are very different from the Raisin & Cinnamon bagels that New York Bakery Co. already sell. The oats and sunflower seeds give the bagels an added crunch and texture which I loved.


The only savoury option in this batch of new additions are these Red Onion & Chive bagels.  They have visible bits of chive throughout but I couldn't detect too many pieces of onion, apart from a few small flecks.

Red Onion & Chive
There is no doubting these are onion bagels when it comes to the taste though, as the onion flavour is very strong! It's not the most original of bagel flavours, as it's fairly easy to find onion bagels. The chives, however, do add a little extra flavour which comes through after the initial onion flavour. These would be absolutely delicious with various fillings, especially cheese.

L to R: Fruit & Oat, Blueberry, Red Onion & Chive
The texture in all three of the bagels was fantastic. Once toasted, they stayed soft in the middle and had a delicious and slightly chewy outer crust, without being too chewy. All of these bagels are suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

Grocery Gems Verdict: New York Bakery Co: Blueberry, Fruit & Oat, Red Onion & Chive

RATING: 9 out of 10.
Buy them again?: I'm stocking up on the blueberry!
Nutrition (Blueberry): 255 calories, 9.7g protein, 49.3g carbohydrate (8.2g sugars), 1.3g fat.
Nutrition (Fruit & Oat): 262 calories, 9.7g protein, 48.1g carbohydrate (10.5g sugars), 2.4g fat.
Nutrition (Red Onion): 250 calories, 10.4g protein, 47.2g carbohydrate (7.2g sugars), 1.3g fat.
Purchased: Sainsbury's.
Price: £1.65 or 2 packs for £2.50 (4 bagels in each pack).


15 comments:

  1. Coooor!! Must try these new flavours :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, i love bagels!! Savoury and sweet! And i particularly love blueberries and anything with oats in/on! I must have these NOW lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thanks Jo, I'm glad this review appealed to you! I'm the same with bagels, I especially love them at the weekend - yum. I hope you get to try these soon :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the sound of the red onion and chive flavour. I am more of a savoury person when it comes to bagels but the blueberry ones do sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberry bagels are my absolute favourite, which is typical because they are so hard to find!

      Delete
  4. I've been eating the 'Fruit & Oat' and 'Red Onion & Chive' flavours this week at work and I really love them. It's tricky finding easy to grab off the shelf food that's suitable for Vegans.

    I hadn't seen the Blueberry flavour so I'll definitely have to track down. Great find and review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased that they are suitable for vegans too! I hope you find the blueberry ones soon. Let me know what you think of them :-)

      Delete
  5. I was always a savoury type bagel person (strange description! lol) I had my first ever bagel 17 yrs ago on my lunchbreak of my first weekend job in Lakeside shopping centre where there was a place called 'The Bagel Centre' that served fresh bagels with all manner of fillings (all savoury tho back then! I guess the sweet variety hadn't caught on here yet at that time). Then i tried the cinnamon and raisin ones at my sisters - delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow "The Bagel Centre" sounds awesome, I would have eaten there all the time too lol. Funnily enough my first experience of bagels was also when I started work. I used to get bagels with hot fillings for lunch. Then I discovered the Sainsbury's blueberry bagels and I was hooked :D

      Delete
  6. didnt it use to be 5 in a packet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a very good point. These are definitely only 4 in a pack. I'm not sure if the rest of the range has changed too. I will check next time I am in the supermarket. Less product for the same price seems to be everywhere these days :(

      Delete
    2. I was in Sainsburys earlier today. The new flavours are all 4 packs while the original flavours are 5 packs for the same price.

      They all had the same expiry date so I'm guessing they were made at the same time.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for confirming that Flipmode. It's a shame that they are charging the same price for less. At least the original flavours are still 5 in a pack... for now.

      Delete
  7. This sounds really tasty and something new to try. Thanks for sharing this.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...