6 Nov 2012

Asda Banoffee Spread Review


This is not a new product but I just had to share my love for this Asda Banoffee Spread. I first heard about it on an online forum where it was discussed in a completely "OMG Asda do a Banoffee Spread!!" way. It's just not the kind of product we are used to on British shelves.

I'm not going to lie and tell you that this spread is healthy but the ingredients are not as horrifically bad as you might expect. It's vegetarian friendly and contains no artificial colours, flavours or hydrogenated fat. Still, this spread is obviously a guilty pleasure of mine. I try not to buy it too often, this is the first time I have bought it this year, because the temptation to spread it on well, just about anything, is too strong.


The spread is made up of swirls of banana and toffee flavoured spread. As you can see I didn't even take proper photos before I scoffed some of it. Not good. Hopefully you can still see the separate colours of the banana and toffee sections, although they are paler in real life than in my photo. The banana spread is a pale yellow colour and has a deliciously sweet banana flavour with toffee undertones. If you're a fan of banana then this spread won't let you down, the banana flavour is full on. The toffee sections are smaller and have a slightly darker colour to them. It compliments the banana flavour perfectly. It actually tastes very similar to the banana section but just less banana-y.


I'm a big fan of banana bread and I bake some at least two times a week. It's a great snack for many reasons. Firstly it uses up all those manky bananas that regularly appear in the fruit bowl but also it's a great snack for my hubby to take to work and for the kids lunchboxes (it's virtually fat-free, made with wholemeal flour and still tastes like cake). I'm lucky enough to have a breadmaker so I do make it the cheats way! The Asda Banoffee Spread tastes delicious on this banana bread, it just lifts the banana flavour and takes it to a whole new level.

Even if you don't make banana bread the possibilities for this spread are endless. It can be used on toast, pancakes, bagels, basically most varieties of bread product. You can even add some real banana slices on top. Or for a more elaborate treat try using it as a cake filling or cupcake topping. It's very versatile!

The Asda Banoffee Spread is available nationwide and costs £1.54.

Ingredients: Sugar , Vegetable Oil, Maltodextrin, Whole Milk Powder, Lactose (Milk), Skimmed Milk Powder, Whey Powder (Milk), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithins), Dried Caramelised Sugar (0.4%), Natural Flavourings, Colours (Curcumin, Paprika Extract), Salt .


5 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds gorgeous! I'm too scared to buy it in case I become addicted....

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm looks really good; theyve got quite a range of spreads out now..so much to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love banana bread too, I made a coconut flour version of it recently which was very yummy!
    This spread sounds delicious indeed but I don't think I would buy it for myself as chocolate spreads contain so much fat. It sounds like a great guilty pleasure though!
    Have you tried the other varieties Asda do like the strawberry one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kev - Wow a coconut flour banana bread sounds fab, I must try that. You're right this spread is not a good choice healthwise, which is why I rarely buy it. Banana bread is delicious enough on it's own! I haven't tried the other flavours, a strawberry spread doesn't really appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish they'd bring this back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...